Plains of Abraham and La Citadelle
The name Plains of Abraham is commonly used to designate le Parc des Champs-de-Bataille. Perched on a natural promontory along the North-Shore, it soars over the majestic St. Lawrence River. Created in 1908 to mark Québec City’s tricentenial celebration, the battle of 1759-1760 between the French and the British took place here, on this parkland.
La Citadelle de Québec comprises the fortifications located on Cap Diamant, in the heart of Old-Québec. Adjacent to the Plains of Abraham, la Citadelle is an integral part of Old-Quebec’s fortifications. Typical of late XVIIIth and early XIXth century architecture, it has been the headquarters for the Canadian Armed Forces’ Royal 22nd Infantry Regiment since 1920, and is located near the Québec City Armoury.